Kimchi Grilled Cheese
It’s about time we had a “grown-up” version of a classic grilled cheese — this Kimchi Grilled Cheese sandwich! Spicy kimchi, sharp cheddar and mild gouda cheese all sandwiched together between two slices of buttered sourdough bread — OMG!
It may sound weird to put kimchi in a grilled cheese sandwich, but it tastes so, so good! The kimchi cuts through the richness of the cheese and adds tangy and spicy flavors to the sandwich.
Feel free to add more ingredients into your Kimchi Grilled Cheese sandwich like honey, gochujang, and avocado! No rules with this winner of a sammy! Serve with a side of your favorite chips.
Kimchi is one of those super foods that’s incredibly good for you! Made of salted, fermented vegetables, kimchi is loaded with probiotics (good for your gut!). It’s no wonder it’s a staple of Korean foods. I used Nasoya Kimchi for this recipe post, but there are many options available in the refrigerated section of your grocery store.
STEPS TO MAKE A PERFECT KIMCHI GRILLED CHEESE:
This is literally the easiest sandwich to make! You’ll be taking your first bite out of this melty Kimchi Grilled Cheese in less than 20 minutes!
- Thoroughly butter the outside of 4 slices of sourdough bread.
- Layer the inside of two pieces of bread with 2 slices of sharp cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons of fresh kimchi, and 2 slices of gouda cheese (or cheeses of your choice). Form the sandwiches with both slices together.
- Heat a cast iron pan or heavy skillet on medium high. Cook the sandwiches until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and slice in half. Cheese should be melty!
I made this fresh sourdough bread (also very good for you!) using a recipe from my good friend and fellow food blogger, Amy Duska, with Little Spoon Farm. Learn how to make this beginner’s sourdough bread. It’s easier than you think!
Buttery goodness on this fresh sourdough bread. Slather the butter on both sides!
Grill the sandwich in a cast iron pan until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side.
Look at that melty, cheesy goodness in this Kimchi Grilled Cheese sandwich!
TIPS AND TRICKS
- You want the butter at room temperature so that it is easy to spread on the slices of bread. Alternatively, you can melt the butter in the skillet before you place the bread on top.
- You can always use whatever cheese you prefer in this sandwich, and add more cheese if you like it super cheesy!
- Feel free to add more ingredients into your Kimchi Grilled Cheese sandwich like honey, gochujang, and avocado! No rules with this winner of a sammy!
(Source: Asian Caucasian)